BETTER THAN BEFORE, by Gretchen Rubin, is her third self-help book. She’s a NYT best-selling author for a reason: she’s s damn good at what she does!
Rubin’s new book is about creating habits. How they are made and how to decide what habits you even want to have. Rubin creates a practical structure so you can understand and pinpoint what habits you want to create and why. Even making a good habit of something you love doing can be challenging in our everyday lives of chaos and change.
“Habits are the invisible architecture of daily life. We repeat about 40 percent of our behavior almost daily, so our habits shape our existence, and our future. If we change our habits, we change our lives.”
I found myself pulling our my highlighter and going to town on page after page. And then flagging pages, one after the other. This is an exciting book for anyone seeking change. Rubin asks us to identify a few habits we’d like to adopt, or make changes to. She’s packed BETTER THAN BEFORE with individual examples of habit changes. Often, we can learn by hearing of others’ trials and errors. I know I do.
At the beginning of BETTER THAN BEFORE, Gretchen lists what she calls THE HABIT MANIFESTO!
- What we do every day matters more than what we do once in a while.
- Make it easy to do right and hard to go wrong.
- Focus on actions, not outcomes.
- By giving something up, we may gain.
- Things often get harder before they get easier.
- When we give more of ourselves, we can ask more from ourselves.
- We’re not very different from other people, but those differences are very important.
- It’s easier to change our surroundings than ourselves.
- We can’t make people change, but when we change, others may change.
- We should make sure the things we do to feel better don’t make us feel worse.
- We manage what we monitor.
- Once we’re ready to begin, begin now.
This manifesto speaks to me. I am a huge procrastinator. Not as much now that I am older, however, still more than I would like. I found page after page, chapter after chapter, and word after word to be life-changing. I am still going over the pages in this book. And I have a feeling it will be pretty worn out and tattered pretty soon.
My review copy of BETTER THAN BEFORE, by Gretchen Rubin, came from Crown publishing. I am sending a huge shout out of thanks to these so-generous people!